The Importance of the Final Walkthrough
As you approach the finish line in your home buying journey, the final walkthrough is one of the most important steps to ensure your new home is in the condition you expect. This step is a chance to double-check that any agreed-upon repairs have been made and that the property’s condition hasn’t changed since your last visit. In this guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know to prepare for a successful final walkthrough, including a handy checklist and tips for hiring a real estate agent to support you in the process.
A Comprehensive Checklist for Your Final Walkthrough
- Bring a copy of your purchase agreement and home inspection report.
- Check for any changes in the property’s condition since your last visit.
- Verify that all agreed-upon repairs have been completed to your satisfaction.
- Test all appliances, heating and cooling systems, and electrical outlets.
- Inspect the walls, floors, and ceilings for any damage or new issues.
- Ensure all included items, such as fixtures and appliances, are present and in good condition.
- Test all doors and windows to ensure they open, close, and lock properly.
- Check the exterior of the property, including landscaping, gutters, and drainage.
- Ask for any warranty information, manuals, or receipts for appliances and repairs.
- Make sure all keys, garage door openers, and security codes are provided.
Seal the Deal with Confidence
Preparing for the final walkthrough is an essential part of the home buying process. By following our comprehensive checklist, you can ensure that your new home is in the expected condition and avoid any unpleasant surprises after closing. Remember to take your time, ask questions, and address any concerns before signing on the dotted line.
Hiring a real estate agent to guide you through the final walkthrough can be incredibly beneficial. An experienced agent knows what to look for and can help you spot potential issues that you might have missed. They’ll also be able to answer any questions and provide expert advice on how to address any problems that may arise. In the end, working with a real estate agent can give you the peace of mind and confidence you need to successfully navigate the final stages of the home buying process.